Welcome to Robert Thorson's Homepage
My colleagues, students, readers, audiences, and clients know me as a:
- PROFESSOR of Geology at the University of Connecticut's rural New England campus, where I juggle teaching, scholarship, mentoring, and committee work.
- AUTHOR of six books, the latest being The Boatman: Henry David Thoreau's River Years, available from Harvard University Press on April 27, 2017. It the successor to Walden's Shore: Henry David Thoreau and Nineteenth Century Science (Harvard, 2014).
- JOURNALIST who writes a regular Op-Ed column for the Hartford Courant, the oldest continuously published newspaper in the nation, and the state's major metropolitan daily. Link to recent columns.
- COORDINATOR of the Stone Wall Initiative, a primary resource for anyone interested in New England's historic stone walls.
- SPEAKER and field trip leader for a variety of venues, most commonly historical societies, conservation organizations, and land trusts.
- CONSULTANT on geo-topics ranging from museum exhibit design to expert witness testimony.
Click on the boldface term above for a quick link. Away from work, I'm a husband, father, son, friend, and solitary soul whose principal hobbies are Nature, reading, cooking, and public television. I have a special affinity for kettle lakes, gurgling brooks, and salty beaches.
Quick links to my: Research Interests, Curriculum Vitae and Biographical Sketch.
Photo by Peter Marteka at Swan "Lake," UConn (2009).