Welcome to Robert Thorson's Homepage
My colleagues, students, readers, audiences, and clients know me as a:
- Professor of Geology at the rural Storrs campus University of Connecticut, where I juggle teaching, research, mentoring, and committee work.
- Author of five books, the latest being Walden's Shore: Henry David Thoreau and Nineteenth-Century Science (Harvard, 2014). Link to recent reviews. A new book (Harvard, 2017) is forthcoming.
- Journalist who writes a regular Op-Ed column for the Hartford Courant, the oldest continuously published newspaper in the nation, and the state's major metropolitan daily. Link to recent columns.
- Coordinator of the Stone Wall Initiative, a primary resource for anyone interested in New England's historic stone walls.
- Public Speaker and field trip leader for a variety of venues, most commonly historical societies, conservation organizations, and land trusts.
- Consultant on geo-topics ranging from museum exhibit design to expert witness testimony.
Away from work, I'm a husband, father, son, friend, and solitary soul whose principal hobbies are enjoying wild Nature, walking, reading, cooking, and public television. I have a special affinity for small lakes, gurgling brooks, and salty beaches.
Quick links to my: Research Interests, Curriculum Vitae and Biographical Sketch.
Photo by Peter Marteka at Swan "Lake," UConn (2009).